Snow shovels are a necessary tool for removing snow by either pushing or lifting it.
For many, the task of manual removal of snow with a shovel requires a lot of energy, resulting in a significant number of health risks.
According to Science Direct there are an estimated 11,500 snow shovel–related injuries and medical emergencies treated annually in emergency departments including: slip and fall incidents, back injuries and numerous heart attacks.
So, people have switched to electric snow shovels that are lightweight and easy to carry around without using much effort to avoid injury.
Table of Contents
WHAT IS AN ELECTRIC SNOW SHOVEL?
An electric snow shovel is a piece of electrical equipment used to remove snow from different areas, including driveways, pavement, steps and decks.
The electric snow shovel consists of a handle and an auger having plastic blades connected with an adjustable shaft for you to raise and lower to accommodate your height and requires an electric cord or a rechargeable battery.
To operate the shovel, one pushes the start button and moves it around the area covered with snow, blowing the snow out of your way, and creating a clear path quickly.
CORDED VS NON-CORDED ELECTRIC SNOW SHOVELS
Corded snow shovels are excellent for large areas and a high volume of snow. As they are continuously powered, reliability that the shovel will work when required provides peace of mind.
Maintenance of the electric snow shovel is low as there is no gasoline or oil to fiddle about with. An extension cord can be attached, making the area to clear larger if required.
Cordless snow shovels consist of a rechargeable battery, generally lithium, with a run time limit of 25-30 minutes.
There is some care needed in maintaining the battery and charger. Storing the batteries outside is not helpful to the batteries operation, so keeping and charging the batteries indoors will ensure longevity. The battery needs to by fully charged before using, and if the charge depletes before clearing the area, the battery will need to be recharged to complete your task.
It is always a good thing to have two batteries on hand to swap out so that the job is completed efficiently. The time the battery requires to charge is dependent on the voltage and capacity but generally takes a half to one hour.
Cordless snow shovels are great as you don’t have to manage a cord, go where you need to go, and you can easily clean tight corners and small spaces, making it easy to maneuver.
Both corded and cord-less electric shovels have pros and cons. What is best for your needs depends on whether you want to clean a smaller area or a larger one, if you have heavy snow or light, want a cord or battery.
BENEFITS OF AN ELECTRIC SNOW SHOVEL
- Clearing the area: Snow can be heavy and fall quickly. These snow shovels help you clear the snow before it builds up or turns into icy hard snow. You can remove snow from an area quicker with the help of an electric snow shovel.
- Easy maintenance: Electric snow shovels don’t need gasoline or oil to work, so you can easily maintain it. You simply plug it into the socket or use a recharged battery, and it will start working immediately.
- Easy to carry: Electric snow shovels are lightweight and small so that you can carry them around easily and are powerful enough to move a high volume of snow without much labour. Many manual shovels that are much heavier than an electric shovel.
- Easy storage: Storage of an electric shovel does not vary from storage of a regular shovel. It does not require a large space, and as they are lightweight, it will easily hang on a hook in your garage or home.
- Decreased back pain and strain: No piece of machinery can claim to eliminate all health risks but an electric shovel will definitely assist in reducing potential risks. You don’t have to bend down or strain, so the risk for back injuries is small. Back injuries are the #1 reason most people switch to an electric snow shovel. It is easily handled by young and old.
WHAT SHOULD YOU LOOK FOR BEFORE BUYING AN ELECTRIC SNOW SHOVEL
1. Adjustable Height
The electric shovel must consist of an adjustable handle, so you don’t have to bend down or strain. Being able to adjust the handle to your height will reduce back pain and feeling uncomfortable while moving it around. So always go with the one having an ergonomic friendly handle.
The material the shovel is made from must be strong enough to push the snow out of the way yet light enough to lift and move. Check the plastic to see if it will be strong enough to handle heavy snow.
3. Power UsageMost of the electric shovels have a motor of 10-12 amps to keep the shovel light and efficient. If the motor amperage is higher, it will be more challenging to handle as the shovel will weigh more.
4.Other AccessoriesWhether it’s a corded shovel or a battery non-corded shovel, both require accessories to operate. Corded electric shovels use an extension cord, and non-corded need a battery and charger. Check to see what accessories accompany your product when you purchase.
In a hurry?
Electric Shovel ComparisonTable
|Weight||Clearing Width||Clearing Depth||Motor Size / Voltage||Snow Removal Per Minute|
Greenworks 2600802 Corded Snow Shovel
|8 amp||136 kg|
Snow Joe 24V-SS10 Cordless Snow Shovel
|24 Volt||181.5 kg|
Earthwise SN70016 Corded Snow Shovel
|12 amp||195 kg|
Toro 38361 Power Shovel, Corded
|7.5 amp||136 kg|
Electric Shovel Review
1. Greenworks 8 Amp 12 inch Electric Snow Shovel
Greenworks 8 Amp 12 inch Electric Snow Shovelis a lightweight snow shovel and is very easy to assemble.
This corded snow shovel has a push button for easy starting, an ergonomically designed handle so you can move it around easily while clearing your path.
This mighty snow shovel will move the snow out of the way quickly with its 8 amp motor providing around 1000 watts of power.
2. Snow Joe 24V-SS13 24-Volt IONMAX 13-Inch, Cordless Snow Shovel Kit, (w/ 4.0-Ah Battery + Charger) Blue
Snow Joe 24V-SS13 24-Volt IONMAX 13-Inch, Cordless Snow Shovel Kit, (w/ 4.0-Ah Battery + Charger) Blue comes with a 4Ah battery and a quick charger.
Its 24V lithium-ion battery delivers a guaranteed time of 25 minutes during which you can quickly move the snow from your sidewalk, steps or patios.
It has 2-blades made from high impact plastic that will throw the snow 20 feet away. The blades are sharp enough to move heavy snow. It weighs 10 lbs. so handling is easy.
Due to its ergonomic design, you don’t have to bend or strain. It clears an area 11-inches width and 6-inches deep.
As it is cord-less handling requires much less effort, and the ability to move anywhere, snow needs clearing is not restricted.
3. Earthwise SN70016 Electric Corded 12Amp Snow Shovel, 16″ Width, 430lbs/Minute
Earthwise SN70016 Electric Corded 12Amp Snow Shovel, 16″ Width, 430lbs/Minute clears 430 lbs. of snow per minute.
The adjustable handle allows you to remove snow without bending and there are rear wheels for smooth movement.
With all its capacity, operating it is simple. You push the start button and begin clearing an area 16 inches wide and 8 inches deep. This makes quick work clearing pavement, sidewalks or steps.
There is no noise pollution with this snow shovel as when it is very quiet.