A good all around shovel is essential for any homeowner or gardener. Whether you have a green thumb or not, let us help you find the perfect shovel for all your yard work needs. The top 3 shovels for yard work are the round point, square point and garden shovel.
Table of Contents
Types of Shovels For Yard Work
Round Point Shovel For Yard Work
A round point shovel blade has a pointed tip that can easily penetrate the soil, making it ideal for digging holes for planting trees, shrubs or flowers scooping and moving loose materials such as soil, mulch, or compost. The round point shovel is also helpful in edging garden beds and removing weeds.
- A versatile tool for digging, scooping, and edging
- The pointed tip of a round point shovel makes it easy to penetrate the soil
- It may not be as effective for cutting through roots or hard packed soil
- It is not as efficient for moving heavy materials as a square point shovel
Below are three quality round pointed shovel available on Amazon. Our top choice is the Truper 31198. The handle is fibreglass making it light and durable and the price is reasonable.
Square Point Shovel For Yard Work
A square point shovel is a heavy duty tool designed for moving large quantities of heavy materials such as rocks, gravel, or sand. Its flat, square blade can easily cut through hard-packed soil and roots, making it ideal for digging trenches or removing sod. The square point shovel is also helpful for levelling and grading the soil.
- Heavy-duty tool that can move large quantities of heavy materials
- The flat, square blade can easily cut through hard-packed soil and roots
- It is not as versatile as a round-point shovel
- It may not be as effective for digging holes or edging garden beds
Square point shovels are typically short handled as you can see from the 3 choices on Amazon below. The short handle is so you can get close in to the materials you are moving. Handles do vary and each has its own benefits. The guide 4 Types of Shovel Handles And The Benefits of Each provides an depth look at handles as does our guide Choosing The Ideal Shovel Handle – Wood, Fiberglass or Composite. Our top choice of the three garden shovels below is the bond manufactruing shovel as the collar of the blade is durable.
Garden Shovel For Yard Work
A garden shovel is a smaller, lighter weight tool for use in smaller spaces such as raised garden beds or containers. The blade is narrower and shorter than a traditional shovel, making it easier to maneuver in tight spaces. The garden shovel is also helpful for planting bulbs or small plants.
- Smaller and lighter weight, making it easier to maneuver in tight spaces
- Ideal for use in raised garden beds or containers
- It may not be as effective for larger digging or moving tasks
- Blade may not be as durable as that of a heavier-duty shovel
All of the garden shovels below are of good quality but for price and as it is made from carbon steel and will last more than one season we recommend the garden shovel heavy duty. If you find that your raised garden bed soil is consistently hard then the kids shovel for digging will be the way to go as the short handle and d shaped grip will give you the leverage you need to get your garden ready.
If you have these three garden shovels, round pointed, square pointed, and garden shovel, you will definitely be prepared for any yard work project that you want to do during the growing season.